The modern Grand Canyon Railway Hotel was designed to resemble the historic Fray Marcos Hotel and Williams Depot structures that stand nearby.
Grand Canyon Railway Hotel guests are welcomed by a luxurious lobby kept cozy during the wintertime with a roaring fireplace. Reproductions of sculptures by Frederic Remington and original oil paintings by artist Kenny McKenna adorn the hotel’s large lobby.
Today’s Grand Canyon Railway Hotel offers guests the choice of 297 rooms, Value-priced rooms, Standard rooms, Deluxe rooms, 2-room Suites, and the unique Rail Baron Suite. All rooms feature two queen beds, a coffee maker, and full bathroom with bathtub and shower. Suites have a bedroom with two queen beds and a separate living area with a pullout sofa. The living area has a microwave, refrigerator, wet bar and coffee maker. Two suites and eight standard rooms are accessible to those with limited mobility.
All rooms at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel were upgraded with a triple-sheeting bedding system. The upgraded bedding components consisted of box spring skirting, bed scarf, synthetic down blanket and additional pillows. These developments have resulted in a clean look away from traditional bedspreads.
Other major hotel upgrades included carpet replacement and wood accent refinishing throughout. Additionally, Furniture in the hotel lobby now features custom leather furniture and accessories with deep wood accents. The lobby’s classic Victorian accent chairs were also refinished to match the rest of the décor.
Spenser’s Pub, located adjacent to the hotel lobby, serves beer, wine and mixed drinks as well as appetizers and meals. The centerpiece of Spenser’s Pub is an antique bar that was hand crafted in the 19th century.
Grand Canyon Railway’s Grand Depot Cafe is located across from the hotel. The restaurant has a wide selection of buffet items for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Quality lodging for its passengers was an important part of the Santa Fe Railway system during the late 19th century and early 20th century. A string of hotels and restaurants run by the Fred Harvey Company opened up along Santa Fe rail lines during this time. The hotels and restaurants were known as Harvey Houses, and they became famous for their quality food and service.
The Fray Marcos Hotel in Williams was one such Harvey House and was named after Spanish missionary Marcos de Niza, who explored the Southwest in the early 16th century. The Fred Harvey Company often named its hotels after early explorers.
The hotel and adjoining depot opened to the public in 1908. The historic hotel still stands on the Grand Canyon Railway campus in Williams, but is no longer used for lodging guests. Parts of the original structure are home to the Grand Canyon Railway ticket counter, a gift shop and company offices. The newer Grand Canyon Railway Hotel was built to resemble the historic Fray Marcos.
Both Williams Depot and the Fray Marcos Hotel are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic depot is still open to the public.
Downtown Williams, Ariz. and historic Route 66 are located within easy walking distance of the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Much of downtown Williams was built after 1901, the year a catastrophic fire swept through the town. Today, the quaint old buildings house a variety of restaurants, bars and one-of-a-kind shops.
Contact Katie Dabbs at Percepture at 720-206-7710 or via e-mail.
Group Sales Department: 1-800-843-8723
International Calls: Telephone 928-773-1976; fax 928-773-1610